Thursday, December 29, 2011

Quick Christmas viewing

I was visiting relatives for Christmas and, at the last minute, decided not to bring my telescope with me (despite the lure of clear skies). I also had a hidden agenda of trying to see who amongst the people is or had been interested in astronomy, accomplished by subtly dropping hints about my new and blossoming interest.

It turns out that my own brother-in-law has a telescope sitting in storage. It was a Bushnell 60mm refractor. Yes, one of those. At that point, though, I'll use a wine bottle to look at the stars for being so deprived.

Moon was out of view but Jupiter was nice and high and Orion was just peeking above the roofline. We set up on the curb in front of the house and had the kids line up and take a look at Jupiter. We also had the wives look and enjoyed the ensuing "oohs" and "wows". It felt like a small victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment