Friday, January 6, 2012

Gamma Arietis (Mesartim) double star

A nearly full moon plus local light pollution pretty much blotted out the majority of the stars in the sky. Orion was the only one that was recognizable, despite the moon being just next door in Taurus.

So I starhopped away from the moon, going through Aldebaran, through the Pleiades, and then onto Aries. There, I was able to find and split Gamma and Lambda Arietis.

The sketch below is of Gamma Arietis, a double star of nearly identical magnitude 7.7" apart.

Tonight, I also discovered that even a light breeze can induce vibration on my scope on the stock mount. Seriously considering getting an equatorial mount. But first, I need a field table of some sort. It sucks to be spending minutes rummaging inside my bag while my subject is slowly drifting out of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment