Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quick Sketch of Jupiter

Conditions: mid 20s F with the wind chill. break in the clouds.

Somehow, there was 2 hour break in the clouds in the early evening, despite a cloudy forecast. I took the telescope outside for a quick look.

It was a waxing gibbous moon, with Jupiter right next to it. Venus was also just above the roof line of the neighboring houses, but I did not resolve any disc. That thing is bright, by the way. Maybe I'll view it through an ND filter to cut the glare.

It was surprising to see how bright the moonshine is after a few minutes of letting my eyes dark-adapt. It reminded me of my childhood when we would have rolling blackouts in the evenings, all the kids were outside playing, seeing only by the light of the moon.

This is my first attempt at sketching what I've seen.


Pencil on paper. I wasn't confident enough in my ability to sketch in the negative (pencil marks representing bright areas). 


I saw two stars in the same FOV, so I made another sketch to include them. HIP 8887 is a magnitude 8.05 star and I had to use averted vision to keep it visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment